A Brief History of The Defiance Lions Club
The Defiance Lions Club was organized December 4, 1940, by George Bormuth, sponsored by the Lima Lions Club, and chartered January 13, 1941, with 20 members.
staurant and occasionally at the Defiance College or a local church, The Brass Room, Ponderosa and now currently First Presbyterian Church on Washington St as of 8-19-10.
The major emphasis and largest project of Lions International is Sight Conservation. Through this program, those financially unable to purchase eyeglasses are assisted with examinations and glasses from an optometrist or ophthalmologist of their choice. The County Health Department helps document the person’s need. Club funds are secured by the annual Light Bulb Sale, Auction, Candle Sale, Giant Coloring Book Sales, Turkey Trot, and a grant from the United Way.
Periodically, the club assists with unusual cases of sight need. A young woman was given a Braillewriter upon graduation. Scholarships have been given to attend the School for the Blind in Columbus. A Braille dictionary was presented to one young man. Many V-tech visual enlargers have been purchased to allow low vision individuals to maintain their independence. Many surgeries have been partially underwritten.
One of the best-known club activities is the annual Halloween Parade. This is a thank-you to the community for their support for all of our fund-raisers. Every year since 1946, the evening parade has been a success, rain or shine, with the combined efforts of local Lions, businesses, schools, and all the children and adults who come in costume. Other activities have been sponsorship of a professional basketball game, Christmas parties at nursing homes, installing bike racks for the city, assisting Civilian Defense work in the 1940’s, glass recycling center, and eye glass collection. The club has also helped provide guide dogs to the blind, secure shoes for school children during WWII, help buy school band uniforms, endow a Defiance Hospital room, contribute to the Defiance Foundation and the YMCA building fund, contribute a memorial block in the river walkway near the library. Sponsor little league athletics, and other causes.
Some of our past moneymaking projects include, sale of Lions mints, sale of brooms, sale of bells, and glass crushing for recycling.
Branch Clubs that Defiance Lions Club has helped sponsor are the Sherwood, Holgate, Oakwood, and Bryan Lions Clubs.
The Defiance Lions Club and the community can be proud of the work of this organization during the past 60+ years. Each member can have great satisfaction, knowing that his or her efforts are for worthy causes and are a part of Lions International, the largest of the service clubs. “We Serve”, the Lions motto, has been well observed in Defiance.